Friday, October 2, 2009

Toy of the Week Monday, Sept 28, 2009


They are cute but prickly, meek yet menacing . Italian artist Simone Legno has created a world of cute and creepy characters. His characters are the equivalent of an adorable puppy bearing it's teeth and growling at you; you instinctively have the reaction "awwww, he's trying to be mean and scary". With different series of characters ranging from the sharp and prickly "Cactus Friends" to the bullet brandishing bovines of the "Moofia" and the cuddly but morbid, skeletal characters of "Til Death do us Part", Simone calls his world Tokidoki. A mysterious but sexy tattoo clad woman is often portrayed interacting with the world of cute characters. Tokidoki has become somewhat of a phenomenon, showing up on clothing, toys and designer hand bags. His work is popular enough that counterfeit products now appear in Asian street markets.

Today I bring you a hand full of Tokidoki vinyl figures. I made my first purchase of Tokidoki figures for a very specific purpose. I ordered a set of Cactus Pups in 2008 so I could use them as cake toppers for my wedding. Since then my wife and I have added a few additional figures to the collection. For a closer look, take a peek inside the figures gallery of the Cabinet of Curious Frivolities at the Tokidoki Vinyl Figures.

Full steam ahead...

To learn more about Tokidoki, visit the official website.

No comments:

Post a Comment