Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bushido and Fabrication, Japanese sword making, epilogue.

A tool for a modern urban samurai-- that was my idea for a continuation of my Japanese sword projects.  Fabricating the tanto fittings was rewarding and I guess I just didn't quite get it out of my system.  I chose a subject of my next project based on the fact that I like the design of modern tanto point blades.  One company has done more to popularize Japanese style tanto knives than any other: Cold Steel.

Designed by a martial arts expert in California and manufactured in Japan, Cold Steel tantos are almost legendary in the cutlery world.  They resemble a miniature katana, having a simple, graceful curve and a sword-like point.  They come in a variety of sizes and styles.  The larger models being available in laminated steel, inspired by the folded steel used in traditional Japanese sword making.  The smallest model-- simply called the Mini Tanto, was discontinued some years ago.  I managed to score a few of these on eBay.  The earlier models had brass fittings.  The later models had stainless fittings and a tsuba style guard.

Here are some pics of the two styles of Mini Tantos in stock form:
As I mentioned before, I had an idea to blend some more traditional Japanese design elements with a modern tanto design.  I modified the stock fittings by forging and soldering copper collars onto the brass parts of a Cold Steel mini tanto.  I also added silk tsuka ito in a gold brown color.  This is similar to the color of ito on Japanese WWII swords.

Here are some pictures of the custom knife, and a stock one for comparison:
Like any of my projects I may return to Japanese sword making but, for now, I am feeling like this demon has been exorcised and it is time to move back to other projects-- hmm, I think some live steam engines are calling me...

No comments:

Post a Comment