Sunday, August 16, 2009

toy of the week Monday, August 16, 2009

Enshrouded in a cloud of dust and the din of clattering metal, threshing machines were the standard method by which grain was processed for well over 100 years. Early models, produced in the mid-late 1800's, were small and made from wood. Later, with the introduction of steam engines on farms, the machines became larger and capable of processing more grain in less time. Larger machines had iron sides. In 1904, the J. I. Case corporation revolutionized the market by producing an all steel thresher with galvanized sides.

I was introduced to threshing machines at an early age in rural Minnesota. My Grandparents were farmers. My mother describes families in their town still using threshing machines when she was a little girl. Indeed threshing machines were still being manufactured even into the 1960's The development of the combine harvester ultimately led to the demise of the thresher. For me, these machines were curiosities and dinosaurs of the past. Like many farm implements that have descended into obsolescence, you could see them rusting away in the corner of a field. This sight was more common than you might think.

Some of these machines have survived and, at an early age, I was lucky enough to see one operating at an antique tractor show. This was also my first close encounter with a steam engine. Giant clanking Case steam tractors were barking out loud rhythmic beats of exhaust and blasting whistles in a white cloud of steam. It was a feast of mechanical motion, sounds and smells. Steam power had instantly captivated me. No doubt this early experience has contributed to my love of mechanical things-- which has heavily influenced my hobbies and career.

Nearly 30 years later, in 2007, I had recently acquired a 1/20 scale live steam tractor. And I set out to find a companion for it. The tractor will have to be added to the Cabinet of Curious Frivolities later. Today I am bringing you an extremely rare hand made toy. This impressive metal masterpiece was meticulously fabricated out of real galvanized steel. It is 18" long. There are not very many of these in existence. When I bought it from Al's Farm Toys I was told that a guy in Minnesota who won the state lottery builds each one by hand-- like an individual piece of art. He makes them because he loves threshing machines-- not for money. The vast majority of his creations have been sold at auction, mostly in Midwestern cities like Minneapolis and Chicago. A few examples make it into specialty shops.

I cant leave anything alone so I have added some custom details to this toy. When I am at live steam meets (steamups), the threshing machine gets more questions than any of my other models. If your curiosity has been piqued then I invite you to take a gander inside the Machinery gallery at the mechanical beauty of the 1/16 Scale Custom Case Threshing Machine. You can also see a mediocre video of a thresher in operation here. God bless YouTube.

Full steam ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment